Saturday, June 4, 2011

Another Bug!?

I know. What can I say. I didn't think I'd be writing another bug post either! If I keep this up, we'll have to change the name of the blog.


Interesting looking isn't it. Seeing it scurrying across the ground made me think it might be some type of large ant. No, it's more like a spider. Then again, maybe it's a wasp???


It definitely has an unusual burnt orange pussy willow back end. My internet research states that it is called a Red Velvet Ant, but is actually a wasp. It is also known as a Cow Killer and sometimes called a Mule Killer!!! Neither sound good. Further research says that although this wingless female wasp doesn't kill cows or mules, it gives such a long and extremely painful sting that it leads one to believe it could kill a cow! Yikes! Here's one more reason for wearing closed toe shoes when walking through the countryside! Roy and I are starting to understand people's inclination to sit on top of picnic tables with their feet on the bench!