Sunday, August 1, 2010

Crazy Cat Woman

Well, I guess I've earned the title of Crazy Cat Woman, as this is my idea of fun!

I like to treat the cats to time out of their cages, and I've discovered it's a great way to take photos for posting on petfinder.com. We have quite an interesting menagerie shown in the above picture. To the right of the box with the red square is a cat sporting a haircut called a Lion Cut. Here's a closer look:

Isn't it cute! When long-haired cats come into the shelter extremely matted, the only thing to do is shave them down. It's not as difficult as one might think. Once the cat figures out that those skin pinching mats are coming off, they will actually lean into the clippers to help out.

Meet Tom and Jerry from the cat room photo. These two month old kittens have a muscle coordination disability called Cerebellar Hypoplasia. I've been working with them since the beginning of June doing exercises, massage, and nutritional supplementation. I recently discovered an example of a homemade cat wheelchair online. Roy built it for less than $20. The purpose of the wheelchair is to provide independence while the kitten builds-up its muscles and coordination. The prognosis for Tom and Jerry is that as they get older they will learn to compensate for their disability. Check out how well Tom did with his new wheels on his first day of using it!!!





If you didn't get enough of seeing him in action, look-up his other 4 videos on You Tube labeled Cat Wheelchair. Two excellent You Tube videos regarding their disability is: This is Charley and Feline Hypoplasia "Gordon".

When I'm not working with the cats directly, I've been making and posting flyers promoting their adoption. A quick count of cat adoptions in July is 35!!!