Saturday, November 19, 2011

Good Food And Culture


El Charro in Johnson City is one of our favorite places to get breakfast tacos. They can be eaten at the restaurant or picked up as take-out. Several of us at the RV park enjoy them as take-out.


For just $2.99 you get 3 hearty breakfast tacos filled with eggs, potato, cheese, and your choice of sausage, bacon, or chorizo. They are all excellent! I love the red taco sauce, although, there is a hotter green sauce.


Out of curiosity I decided to look-up the translation of the restaurant name, El Charro. El means "The", and a charro is a traditionally attired Mexican cowboy........


..or cowgirl. I found that there are charro associations and that charros perform in charreadas (Mexican rodeos). Wow, so much learned from two little words!


During my research into charros, I came across pictures of these odd boots. They are called Mexican Pointy Boots, and are a fad designed in Matehuala, Mexico for dancing to a form of music called, Tribal. I haven't seen any in person, yet, but the fad has made it's way into the southern states, especially where there are communities of Mexicans from Matehuala!